Saturday, December 13, 2014

Orlene Lois Mayberry Clayson

My Grandma Clayson passed away about one week ago.  Her viewing and funeral were this week.  It was a good time to reflect on her goodness and the difference she has made in the world.





 

Grandma's viewing and funeral were very nice and there were so many things about it that were just grandma.  Grandma had a beautiful pearl colored casket that looked just like her and the casket spread was beautiful--the perfect colors for grandma.  During the viewing I told my cousin that it was the loudest viewing I'd ever been too and then we both just laughed and said of course it is.  It's grandma's viewing.  She wouldn't want it any other way.

Everyone who spoke did a great job and I was reminded of fun memories with grandma.  The two biggest traits that were talked about that really sum up grandma for me is that she was a fun, enthusiastic people person who could talk anybody's ear off and she served without a second thought.

My grandma loved people and parties.  And anytime she could visit with someone or have a party she was in.  I probably took it for granted when I was young, but she loved spending time with her grandkids.  We had grandkid sleepovers and temple days, she took us out shopping and to lunch for our birthday, and there was always a party for sporting events and holidays.

My grandma also served, served, served.  And it wasn't a big deal.  Not a big deal at all.  I don't think she ever batted an eye at doing something for someone else.  She didn't need to flaunt it.  It wasn't a show.  She just helped other people.  One of her services to my family that keeps coming back to me is that we would often wake up to grandma at our house.  She would help us get ready for and off to school so my parents could go to the temple before my dad had to go to work.  She also had a way of making people feel special.  Her heart was big and it had room for everyone.

During the funeral, my uncle Brett talked about how grandma had thick skin even though she was so sensitive to others needs.  I had never realized that about grandma but it is 100% true.  I can't imagine my grandma ever holding a grudge.  She was aware of others and their needs but wasn't easily bothered by what others said or did.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for my Grandpa Clayson.  For whatever reason he is the grandparent I feel the most connected to and want to be the most like.  As long as I can remember I have  looked up to him.  Watching grandpa at my grandma's funeral made that soft spot even bigger.  He treated my sweet grandma's body with such respect and he looked at her with the purest love I can imagine.  Watching him kiss her while his tears fell on her face before they closed the casket will be a memory I cherish.  Her goodness was reflected in him.  And his goodness is reflected in her.

Obituary for Orlene Mayberry Clayson

Orlene Lois Mayberry Clayson passed away December 7, 2014 from the effects of a long struggle with Alzheimer's disease.

She was born April 8, 1937 to Joseph Lawrence Mayberry and Margaret Cynthia Heslop Mayberry in Kanesville, Utah. She was raised in Kanesville and Ogden, Utah where she graduated from Ogden High School. She continued her education at Weber State for her Associate's Degree and Brigham Young University where she graduated with honors with her teaching certification. She played the clarinet well enough to hold the 1st or 2nd chair through her college years.
 

While student teaching she was set up on a blind date with Douglas Clayson. They were later married August 5, 1959 in the Logan Temple. They raised their family in Orem and Pleasant Grove, and in recent years moved to Lindon.

She was happily active in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints serving in many roles. She earned the Golden Gleaner Award in the Mutual Improvement Association, helped produce road shows for her stake as drama director, worked in both the Provo and Mt. Timpanogos Temples, and served as a missionary in the Seoul Korea Temple with her husband.

She will be sorely missed for her bright personality, unselfish nature, and sincere friendships. She made family gatherings a joy and paid special attention to holidays and birthdays. Her outgoing personality will be missed and remembered fondly by all who knew her.

She is survived by her husband Douglas William Clayson and their six children Janelle (John) Durrant, Kyle (Vicky) Clayson, Scott (Becki) Clayson, Karla (Craig) Peeples, Marilee (Nolan) Jepsen, Brett (Annie) Clayson. She had 24 grandchildren and 12 great-grand children. She is also survived by her brothers John (Jeanine) Mayberry, Rulon (Daryl) Mayberry, David (Patti) Mayberry, and her sisters Marilyn (Robert) Lund, and Lynette (Christopher) Mershon.

She was preceded in death by her sister Laura (Ariel) Benson and her parents.

Funeral Services will be held Friday, December 12, 2014 at 11:00 am at the Lindon 1st Ward, 56 East 600 North, Lindon, UT. Viewings will be held at the same location on Thursday, December 11th from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm and Friday morning prior to services from 9:30 am to 10:30 am. Interment in Santaquin City Cemetery.

No comments: